The Cathedral's parish worships in the crypt Chapel of St Nicholas. The crypt, built between 1933 and 1958, is the only completed part of Sir Edwin Luyten's grandiose design for a new Roman Catholic Cathedral. Prohibitive cost prevented completion of the original plans. The cathedral itself has a number of large wall hangings, including one of St Nicholas
, the patron of the City of Liverpool.