Church of England (Anglican)
Radford (Coventry), Warwickshire
The old St Nicholas Church
, built in 1874, was destroyed during the Coventry Blitz, 14 November 1940. A landmine, a large metal box suspended by a parachute, descended slowly and silently, exploding above ground with a deafening roar, flattening the church. People hid in cellars, crypts, and air raid shelters; some were injured and died in the church crypt. Just one course of stones was left standing. The new church was built close to the site during 1955-57.