The building is B listed by Historic Scotland and has a vestry and large sanctuary

The building is B listed by Historic Scotland and has a vestry and large sanctuary

Photo: C Myers, St Nicholas Center

Ould Kirk, St. Nicholas

[Church of Scotland (Presbyterian)]

Holm, East Mainland, Orkney

Scotland UK

The old St Nicholas Kirk was built in 1816 with only the road between the graveyard and the sea. The roof is local slate and there is an armorial panel set in the session house wall. It is believed that a church has been on the site since 1570 and a previous one on the mound. The last service was held in 1939, then the church was commissioned for Army use during World War II. The building was purchased by the Friends of St Nicholas in 2009. Interior photos

More information
The building is B listed by Historic Scotland and has a vestry and large sanctuary
The bell cote was damaged by lightening in the 1990s and removed; the sea is barely visible beyond the gravestones