Photo: Darr <a href="http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:St_Nicholas_Church_(Lipno_Island)" target="new" class="link">Wikimedia Commons</a>

Church of St Nicholas-on-the-Lipno

Russian Orthodox

Novgorod / Island of Lipno, Novgorod Oblast

Russia

The church was built in 1292 as part of the Monastery of St Nicholas-on-the-Lipno. The principal icon was St Nicholas-on-the-Lipno. The church was destroyed during World War II and restored in 1960. It is the only remnant of the monastery.
Photo: Darr <a href="http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:St_Nicholas_Church_(Lipno_Island)" target="new" class="link">Wikimedia Commons</a>
Photo: Vash Alex kun <a href="http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:St_Nicholas_Church_(Lipno_Island)" target="new" class="link">Wikimedia Commons</a>
The icon, by Aleksa Petrov, 1294, is the first signed icon of Saint Nicholas; it is now in the Novgorod State Museum<br />Photo: Vash Alex kun <a href="http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:St_Nicholas_Church_(Lipno_Island)" target="new" class="link">Wikimedia Commons</a>
Photo: Darr <a href="http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:St_Nicholas_Church_(Lipno_Island)" target="new" class="link">Wikimedia Commons</a>
Postcard courtesy of <a href="http://www.inoudeansichten.nl/ansichten/showgallery.php/cat/1031" target="new" class="link">Jan Wasmus</a>