St. Nicholas Greek Orthodox Cathedral
Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
Pittsburgh (Oakland), Pennsylvania
The first Greek immigrants came to Pittsburgh at the turn of the 19th century. The present building, formerly 1st Congregational Church (1904), was purchased in 1923. Pittsburgh became the seat of the Sixth Diocese in 1955 and the church became a cathedral. The interior was extensively remodeled in 1961, with a new sanctuary, iconostasion, narthex and pews. A new community center was added in 1977. More than 25,000 visitors attended the Annual St Nicholas Food Festival in 2003.
Click each picture to enlarge