Photo: <a href="http://kaunobenediktines.wordpress.com/" class="link" target="new">Kaunas Benedictine Sisters</a>

Photo: Kaunas Benedictine Sisters

Used by permission

Sv. Mikalojus Benediktiniu Baznycia
St. Nicholas Benedictine Church

Roman Catholic

Kaunas

Lithuania

The Gothic church was built in the 15th century as a parish church. It was given to a Benedictine convent in 1627. The building was repaired in 1655 and enclosed by a massive brick wall in the 1700s. In the early 1800s the convent produced silver liturgical accessories, vestments and other items. Church and convent closed in 1948 and the church was used as a library. It was returned to church use in 1990 and reconsecrated in 1992. The church was returned to Benedictine nuns in 2009.
Photo: <a href="http://kaunobenediktines.wordpress.com/" class="link" target="new">Kaunas Benedictine Sisters</a>
Photo: Augustas Ramonas
Western facade<br />Photo: CD <a href="http://lt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kauno_%C5%A0v._Mikalojaus_(Benediktini%C5%B3)_ba%C5%BEny%C4%8Dia" target="new" class="link">Wikipedia</a>
18th century painting<br />Photo: <a href="http://kaunobenediktines.wordpress.com/" class="link" target="new">Kaunas Benedictine Sisters</a>
Statue by local artist Adolfas Teresius<br />Photo: <a href="http://kaunobenediktines.wordpress.com/" class="link" target="new">Kaunas Benedictine Sisters</a>
Photo: <a href="http://kaunobenediktines.wordpress.com/" class="link" target="new">Kaunas Benedictine Sisters</a>