Iglesia San Nicolás de Bari
The church was built in 1721. The tower blew off in 1812. The church was demolished in 1931 when the streets were widened. The Obelisk of Buenos Aires was built in 1936 on the site of the church to commemorate the fourth centenary of the city's founding. One of the inscriptions on the base of the Obelisk reads: "On this site in the St. Nicholas tower the National Flag was hoisted for the first time in the city the XXIII of August of MDCCCXII." The year was 1812.
Click each picture to enlarge