St. Nicholas Catholic Church
The church, built in 1898, is on the National Register of Historic Places. The parish has its beginnings in the circuit riders that came out from the first Catholic church in Ohio , St. Joseph's at Somerset. St. NIcholas began as a German parish in 1836. The first church stood where the present rectory is. For years the church was served by priests born and trained in Germany. As the parish grew, the building was enlarged several times before this entirely new church was built. Due to limited funds, the interior was plain until being decorated in 1919. It was renovated in 1926 and again in 1960. The colors from 1960 were maintained when it was refurbished to meet the requirements of Vatican II in 1986. The exterior was renovated in 1997.
Click each picture to enlarge