St. Nicholas

Pin it

Add to Symbaloo

Find us on Facebook

Follow us on Pinterest

Translation Monument in San Giorgio


As the sailors from Bari were nearing home after securing the relics of St. Nicholas in Myra, they stopped in the harbor of San Giorgio (St. George), four miles southeast of Bari. They went ashore on May 8, 1087, in the village of San Giorgio where they built a proper container for bringing the bones to Bari. They needed an appropriate box to carry the relics in procession into the city. After removing the bones from their temporary carrier and placing them in the new reliquary, the party departed for Bari on the next day, the 9th of May.

A monument commemorates this event on the harbor in San Giorgio. There is a replica boat, a bronze relief plaque and an inscribed standing bronze tablet.

Large open boat with sail
Replica boat commemorating the fleet of four
Photos: Marcus VanKan
Used by permission
St Nicholas leading the boat to shore
Commemorative plaque
Description of the stop in San Giorgio
San Giorgio commemorative tablet
Photo: Marcus VanKan
Used by permission
Looking across the bay
The bay of San Giorgio
Photos: Marcus VanKan
Used by permission
Looking to land from the sea
back to top