This church dates from at least 1270 and has been closely related to nearby Chawton House. The churchyard is like an island in the estate's grounds. Jane Austen's brother Edward was adopted by the Knight family and inherited Chawton House. Jane, her mother and sister, came to live here and she revised and wrote all her novels while in Chawton. She worshipped regularly at St Nicholas; her mother and sister are buried in the church yard. The other church closely associated with Jane Austin is St Nicholas, Steventon.