The Saint Nicholas Church, one of the oldest in Brussels, is named after Saint Nicolas, the patron saint of traders, as the market center is just around the corner. The church is asymmetrical because an irregular small stream used to run through this street. Parts of the church date to the 12th century. However, it was plundered during the troubles between Catholics and Protestants in the 16th century and then completely burned in 1695 during bombing by the French. The high tower collapsed in 1714, killing a man and a pig. The church was closed in 1797 and reopened in 1804. The church was fully restored in 1954.
More photos, with Nicholas images