Igaliku / Gardar
Christianity was brought to Greenland by Viking Leif Eriksson in AD 999. Eventually there were sixteen churches and early in the 12th century a petition was sent for a bishop. In 1126 a red sandstone cathedral was built, 84 x 60 feet, and dedicated to the patron of seafarers, St Nicholas. The church was excavated in 1926. The oldest remains contained 25 walrus skulls and 5 narwhales, indicating that it was built on the site of a pagan shrine.
Click each picture to enlarge