St. Nicholas Church, Hull, 1871, the year it was rebuilt and consecrated. Originally Bethesda Chapel (1842), it became Danish Lutheran in 1850; destroyed in World War II
Engraving: Illustrated London News, Oct. 7, 1871
St Nicholas Center Collection
Skt. Nikolaj Danske Sømandskirke
Danish Seamen's Church
Evangelical Lutheran Church in Denmark
With long standing commercial links across the North Sea, a number of Danes have settled in Hull and the coast. The first Danish pastor came in 1868 and the Danish St Nikolaj Church was founded for seamen in 1871. Most of Hull was destroyed by World War II bombing, including the Danish, Finnish, and Swedish churches. The present church was built in 1954, across the street from the earlier one. The Danish Seamen's Church in Foreign Parts is responsible for the church, as it is for others around the world. Services are held every Sunday and the church is open weekdays from 4-10 pm, and 11 am to 6 pm on Saturdays.
Click each picture to enlarge