Lyamtsino, Moscow Oblast
The first wooden church from before 1534; it was replaced in 1715. After that church burned in 1769, a white stone one was consecrated in 1793 and expanded in the 1800s. The church was closed in 1936; the belfry destroyed, icons taken, cemetery razed, the priest arrested and exiled. Used to store chemical fertilizer, the church fell to ruins. It was returned in 1994. Rebuilt and restored, the new church was consecrated in 2006. Residents returned icons and other items that had been safeguarded in homes during the Soviet era. Services are held on Saturdays, Sundays and public holidays.
Click each picture to enlarge