High Bradfield, Yorkshire England UK
Church of England (Anglican)
A simple two-cell Norman church was built here in 1109. A bell-tower was added in the 1300s; the church was rebuilt in Gothic Perpendicular style in the 1480s. After being pillaged in the Reformation and Civil War, the interior was restored similar to its original appearance. The sunken vestry originally sheltered visiting priests. A watch house was built at the church gates in 1831 to combat body snatchers. Until 1868, St Nicholas was a chapel of ease in the parish of Ecclesfield St Mary.