Montreal (Outremont), Quebec Canada
Russian Orthodox Church Outside RussiaThe Cathedral has suffered fire in 1998, construction difficulties and schism. After the fire, all that remained were three walls. The fire destroyed icons, vestments, and the iconostasis. Rebuilding was a slow process: the nave reopened in 2001, the copper onion dome refurbished in 2004 and icons returned in 2005. Rebuilding of the church and basement parish hall were complete in 2007. The First Hierarch of the Russian Church Outside Russia visited in June 2002 and conducted Divine Litury and an Ordination. The church was originally built as St. Giles Presbyterian Church in 1911 and was used as a synagogue for the Beth David Itzchok Congregation before being purchased by the Russian Orthodox in 1964.