Barfleur, Normandie France
William the Conqueror set out from Barfleur in 1066 to take over England in 1066 (the Norman Conquest). Barfleur was plundered and burned by the Englaish in 1120. St Nicolas Church was built in the 17th century to replace the earlier 11th century building. The church dominates the harbor, surrounded by a marine cemetery. A three-masted whaling ship serves as an ex-voto.