Polish OrthodoxThe neo-classical church was built in 1843-1846 on the site of a 16th century church. Interior painting was redone in 1910 and again in 1990. The church became a cathedral when the Diocese of Bialystok-Gadansk was formed in 1950. The parish celebrates the feasts of Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker (19 Dec), Translation of the relics of St Nicholas (22 May), and those of St. Martyr Gabriel, whose relics are in the church. The Ecumenical Patriarch of Constantinople visited the Cathedral in 1987 and again in 1998; Pope John Paul II in 1991. The primary Polish liturgical ceremonies for 1000 years of Orthodoxy in Russia were celebrated here.