West Worldham, Hampshire England UK
Church of England (Anglican)
One of William the Conqueror's knights gave land to a French priory that established a cell here with monks to manage the farm. They built this small (44x18 ft) church towards the end of the 12th century. Winchester College acquired it in 1414 and it became the village church. Badly damgaged by fire in 1870, the roof collapsed. The College restored the church in 1888. Lighting was installed after World War II in thanksgiving for the hamlet's preservation from enemy action on 15 May 1944. There are just 12 households, making upkeep a challenge. St Nicholas has been closely associated with St Leonard's, Hartley Mauditt, since the 16th century; both belong to the East Worldham Benefice.