St Nicholas Church

Corfe, Somerset England UK

Church of England (Anglican)

Church Website

Originally a chapel to the mother church at Pitminster under the care of Augustinian canons from Taunton Priory. Following the dissolution it became a chapel of ease to St Mary's, Taunton. The Norman church was not altered until a new nave was constructed in 1848. In 1858 the nave was lengthened and the tower built. In 1898 it was one of the first buildings in the west to be lit by electricity. St Nicholas belongs to the Blackdown Benefice. The chancel and sanctuary floor were relaid and old varnish removed from the oak choir stalls in 1969.