St. Nicholas Cathedral

Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland England UK

Church of England (Anglican)

Church Website

The first church on the site was made of wood in 1080; it has been dedicated to St. Nicholas from at least 1194. It was rebuilt in stone in the late 1100s and experienced fire, repairs, and enlargements several times. This building dates mostly from the 14th and 15th centuries. The Lantern spire (1448) has guided ships on the river Tyne for centuries. The church, the 4th largest parish church in England, became a cathedral in 1882 when the Newcastle Diocese was separated from Durham; the high altar and chancel were altered at that time. Most of the glass is from the 19th century. The cathedral has many images of St. Nicholas.

More St. Nicholas images: windows, banners, copes & kneelers