Deptford Green, London (Kent) England UK
Church of England (Anglican)
The church was founded in the 12th century; the tower dates from the 1300s, with the rest primarily from the 1600s. St Nicholas and St Luke now form the Parish of Deptford. Incendiary bombs fell on the church in 1940, destroying the roof; restoration was completed in 1958. The 1701 ring of eight bells, one of the oldest in the country, was removed after being poorly rehung in the early 1900s as the load caused structural damage to the tower. Work is underway to restore the full ring. Sir Francis Drake and Captain James Cook visisted the church before embarking on their world-wide expeditions. Christopher Marlowe, 16th century poet and dramatist, is buried in the church yard.