Royal Garrison Church of—St John the Baptist & St Nicholas
Old Portsmouth, HampshireEngland UK
Church of England (Anglican)
The church was originally founded as a hospice in 1212 to aid overseas pilgrims coming to Canterbury, with a chapel at one end. Closed by Henry VIII in 1540, the building was used briefly as an armoury. Charles II was married here in 1662. Major restoration was carried out in the 1860s. Fire bombs gutted the nave in January, 1941; the chancel was saved. Local ex-service organizations hold occasional services. The church is a listed Ancient Monument and is open to the public, April - September.