Chilton Candover, Hampshire England UK
[Church of England (Anglican)]The medieval church was demolished above ground in 1876. In 1928 an underground Norman crypt was discovered. The crypt has an apse and a tunnel-vaulted room, separated by a narrow archway. The four-feet thick walls have tiny windows set just above ground level. Inside there were old coffins lids and a Norman font. Though unusual, a number of smaller Norman churches had crypts. The crypt is across a field with terraces and hollows that seem to indicate the site of a medieval village. In 1562 John Fisher bought the manor and destroyed the entire village except the church and a farm. A service is held at the site in July.