Mount Athos Greece
Greek OrthodoxBuilt by the sea in the 14th century, the monastery was dedicated to St Nicholas, though later changed to honor founder Gregory. The 1770 katholikon (main church) is dedicated to St. Nicholas; the wall paintings date from 1779. The monastery has ten chapels and four cells and is ranked seventeenth among athonite monasteries. Seventy active monks were in residence in the 1990s. Visits are restricted to men only.
More photos and information