Nellieha (near) Malta
Caves in Malta were used as churches in the time of early Christian catacombs and later in Norman times. They were both rock-cut churches, crypta, hewn out of a cliff or in natural caves. It is difficult to get to this one high up on a chain of hills and hidden by valley vegetation. The larger part on the left may have been lived in and used for animals. The smaller part on the right was documented as a chapel in 1575 and traces of frescoes are still visible.