St Nicholas Chapel

Pickering, Yorkshire England UK

[Roman Catholic]

Castle Pickering's simple chapel, dedicated to St Nicholas, dates to around 1227. The chapel had a resident chaplain until the mid 1500s. In the early 1300s his stipend was about two pence a day—the same as the watchman and porter. After the castle's great hall became a ruin, the chapel was used as a courthouse in the 1600s. It is now the only building in the inner bailey with a roof, though from a later restoration. The site is in the care of English Heritage and used for an exhibition.

More photos and information