Built in the late 12th century, the Gothic church is the oldest in Gdansk. Given to Dominican friars in 1227, a cloister compound was added in 1348. It is the only church in Gdansk that survived destruction during World War II and the Red Army's destruction—some say it was spared because of Orthodox veneration of St. Nicholas. The interior has authentic rich, early Baroque fittings. The Pope granted permission in 1260 for indulgence festivities that continue to this day as the popular Dominican Fair. The church was closed two years for emergency strengthening of the foundation, reopening in September 2020.