Church of Ss. Nicholas & Arsenios the Great—Pyhtitsa Dormition Convent

Pühtitsa / Kuremäe Estonia

Estonian Orthodox (Moscow Patriarch)

This small chapel is in the cemetery on the grounds of the women's Pyhtitsa Dormition Convent, founded in 1891. The church, the oldest building in the convent complex, was built in 1885; it is one of six churches in the complex. The place has been sacred since the 16th century when shepherds saw a vision of the Virgin Mary surrounded by light, near a spring. They then found an anient icon under a huge oak. The spring, that never freezes over even in the coldest winter, and oak have been places of pilgrimage ever since. The chapel is opened once a year in May.