Sint Nicolaaskapel

Amsterdam Netherlands

[Roman Catholic]

Designed by Lau Peters, the Saint Nicholas chapel was built in 1959. The chapel is on the second floor, surrounded by a wide walkway. Pupils from the school began each week in the chapel. The first floor had 14 chapels so the priests could efficiently celebrate Mass all at the same time.

In the mid-1980s the priests of the Sacred Heart moved to another monastery, selling this property to the Diocese of Haarlem for a seminary. In the late 1990s it was sold again, standing empty from 1997 until 2000, whcn squatters occupied it. Now home to the Sandberg Institute, the chapel is used for exhibitions, conferences, cinema, and concerts.