[H. Nicolaas]

Loënga / Loiïngea Netherlands

[Roman Catholic/Reformed]

A Saint Nicholas church stood in this church yard from 1335 until 1745, when it was pulled down in bad condition. The klokkenstoel (bell tower) still stands in the church yard, surrounded by gravestones, and was thoroughly restored in 1983.

In some places the ground was too spongy to support the building of a tower, so freestanding frame would be built. Bells were used to announce important events, as well as church services, and the time of day.