Ancienne Église Saint Nicolas

Monaco-Ville Monaco

[Roman Catholic]

This, the first parish church in Monaco, was founded in 1247 and completed in 1252. The present Cathedral de Monaco, dedicated to the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary with Ss Nicolas and Benoit, was built in 1874 on the site of this church. The retable painted by Louis Bréa, 1500, for this church, with Saint Nicolas as the central figure, is now in the Cathedral. The retable has been featured on several postage stamps that can be seen here.