Arbakka, Manitoba Canada
[Ukrainian Catholic (Byzantine)]
This is the first church in Arbakka, built by Ukrainian settlers in 1917. A bell tower with a single bell and a cemetery were at opposite ends of the church yard. In 1941 there were 17 members with 25 children. The building was abandoned in the 1950s because the road was too difficult to maintain. A new Church of the Translation of the Relics of St. Nicholas was built 2½ miles to the south. Dwindling rural population has left the Manitoba prairie dotted with small struggling churches that may become abandoned.