Chania (Hania), Crete Greece
Greek OrthodoxThe church was built as part of the Dominican Monastery of St. Nicholas in 1320. During the Turkish occupation (1665-1898) it was used as barracks for Turkish troops before it was turned into a mosque. The unusual two-floor minaret, with two balconies, was added to the northwest corner. The mosque, known as the Hioughar Tzamissi or the Sovereign's Mosque, was the most important in the city. Chania was the first area to be taken by the Ottomans and the sword of Turk Darvish, who was first to enter the city, was kept there. An 1944 earthquake threatened the minaret.