Flat Island (Samson Island), Newfoundland Canada
[Anglican Church of Canada]Settlers came to Flat Islands (Flat or Samson Island, Berry Head, Coward’s Island and North Island) in the 1820s. They built Saint Nicholas Church in 1909. The islanders worked fisheries, woodcutting and ship building. After 1901 population declined as the main fishery closed and workers moved to the mainland and elsewhere. The last remaining residents accepted government resettlement in 1957; since the islands have only seasonal occupants. The church was deconsecrated in 1967 with furnishings and the war memorial moved to the church on Eastpoint Penninsula. In 1968 several men went down by boat and burned the remaining shell of the building.