Wigginton near York, Yorkshire England UK
Church of England (Anglican)
The church, built in 1860 after the previous one was demolished, is on an ancient Saxon site. It is brick, faced with sandstone, and plastered inside, as this was an inexpensive way to build. Decorative edges of the walls, windows and buttresses are sandstone. For centuries the church was dedicated to St. Mary, serving Wigginton and Haxby. During the 1800s Haxby became independent and built another St. Mary chuch. St. Nicholas was added in the 1970s to avoid confusion when Wigginton and Haxby became part of the same team ministry.