Port Arthur/Lushun, Liaoning China
The icon of the Most Holy Mother of God was originally made for the St Nicholas Church, Port Arthur, though it never made it there. Written in 1904 it was to go by train from St Petersburg. Because of the Russo-Japanese war it ended up in Vladivostok and after six months was sent on. It never arrived in Port Arthur and its whereabouts were unknown. It was discovered in Jerusalem in 1996 and returned to Vladivostok in 1998. A copy of the icon has been made that has gone from Port Arthur, today’s Lushun, to Beijing, and then to Saint Petersburg, where a chapel will be built for it.