Consecrated as the Church of Hagia Sophia in 1698, it was known as St Nicholas Church after the miracle-working St. Nicholas icon brought by the first priest in 1685. Missionary activities had begun around then when Albazinian immigrants came into the area. An old Buddhist temple in the northeastern part of the Imperial capital was converted to an Orthodox chapel. An earthquake destroyed the church in 1730. It was rebuilt as the Dormition Church in Beiguan (Beijing) and dedicated in 1732. This church was destroyed in the 1900 uprising and replaced by the Church of All Holy Martyrs in 1903.