Istanbul / Galata Turkey
The church dates to the 16th century, though this building is from 1834, the dome in 1867, and additions in 1887. A 2003 fire destroyed the narthex, leaving the main part of the building. There is a large silver icon of Saint Nicholas that was the object of Greek Orthodox pilgrimage until 1965 when the church was transferred to the Turkish Orthodox Patriarchate, a nationalist organization without ecclesiastical recognition. The Fener Greek Patriarchate sued to recover the church in 2011.