Istanbul / Cibali / Tzivaliou Turkey
Built in 1837 on the site of an earlier Byzantine church, the church was dedicated to Saint Nicholas, patron of mariners. The earlier church dated from 1538 or before. The church complex, containing the Church of Saint Nicholas, Chapel of Saint Charalampos, and the Aghiasma, is first mentioned in documents from 1724. Typical of churches in Constantinople, the church is surrounded by tall courtyard walls, school buildings, meeting rooms and associations. The complex was renovated in 1998. The church has been assigned to serve the Ukrainian community in Istanbul.