Eglise Saint-Nicolas

Neder-over-Heembeek, Brussels Capital Region Belgium

[Roman Catholic]

Built in the 12th century, troops destroyed the church in 1489. It was rededicated in 1743, with further enlargement in 1860. After being struck by lightning in 1932, the parish combined with another parish and worship ceased at Saint-Nicolas. It served as a community facility and a local folk art museum being closed in 1939. It was made an historic monument in 1941 and closed in 1942 because of extensive war damage. After restoration in 1953, the first arts center, Centre Culturel de Bruxelles, opened here. The Baroque furniture is now in l'église Saint-Pierre-et-Paul.