St. Nicholas Orthodox Church

Brest Belarus

[Eastern Orthodox/Greek Catholic]

The church was built before 1390, with additions in the 17th and 18th centuries. It was the cathedral church of the Bishop of Vladimir and Beresteysk. The church was destroyed in 1837.

This church was the site of the Union of Brest-Litovsk, 1596, that gave rise to the Uniate or Greek Catholic Church, bringing together five of the seven Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth Orthodox bishops into union with the Holy See in Rome. After the vested Orthodox bishops processed to the Church of St. Nicholas and celebrated Divine Liturgy, the declaration accepting union with Rome was read. The next day another solemn ceremony was celebrated in this church.