Toom-Niguliste Kirik

Haapsalu Estonia

Evangelical Lutheran

The cathedral church originally dedicated to St. John, was built in the 1260s. Itbecame part of the the 15th century Bishop's Castle complex, as fortified walls and towers were added. The castle was blown up in 1715, then fire destroyed the roof in 1726. The Imperial Russian house contributed to its restoration from 1886-89, when it was dedicated to St. Nicholas. The interior was severely vandalized during World War II and the church was used to store grain during the Soviet era. The first service was held in 1990 following the return of the church to the local congregation. The castle ruins and surrounding land are now a park.

More information (English interspersed)