The monastery, on the left bank of the Ibar river, dates from the 13th century. The church was built in the 14th, though it was rebuilt later. When the monastery was destroyed in the Austrian-Turkish war in 1689, the church was all that survived. Restored in 1861, it was used as a parochial church for more than a century. Monastery life was revived in 1999 when the sisterhood, exiled from the Musutiste monastery in Kosovo, arrived.