Cathedral of the Holy Resurrection—Nikolai-do

Tokyo Japan

Orthodox Church in Japan

Church Website

The byzantine cathedral is affectionately called Nikolai-do after Archbishop Nikolai (St. Nicholas of Japan), who came to Japan in 1861 as chaplain to the Russian consulate. He mastered Japanese language and culture and served as a missionary, bringing Orthodoxy to Japan. He worked among Japanese people for 50 years.

The original Nikolai-do, the Great Temple of Nicholas, was completed in 1891. It was badly damaged in the Great Kanto earthquake in 1923. The rebuilding was completed in 1929 with a shorter bell tower, modified dome, and simplified interior.

St. Nicholas of Japan was born Ivan Dimitrovich Kasatkin and took the name of Nicholas, the most revered saint in Russia, when he became a monk.