The 16th century church was burned in 1800 in a road gang attack and rare parchment books lost. The church was rebuilt in 1804 in just forty days. The church is known for its outstanding frescos, painted from 1817-1818, and designated as a national cultural monument. The frescoes are one of the best achievements in church art from the early Renaissance. The church has been restored and is open to visitors.