Istanbul Büyükada / Prinkipos Turkey
Orthodox—Ecumenical PatriarchateThe monastery was built in the 9th century on the largest of the Princes’ Islands. Destroyed by fire in 1852, it was rebuilt in 1860. At one time it housed Greek orphans, as well as the Great School of the Nation and the School of Greek Studies. After being closed for a long time, it was restored in 2001.