Church of Saint Nicholas

Batumi Republic of Georgia

Georgian Orthodox

The church, built by the Greek community in 1865, was the only church in Batumi to survive the Soviet era without devastation. Though closed in the 1930s, it was reopened after 10-12 years when women petitioned following World War II. Residents came in secret for services in both Georgian and Russian. The exterior was restored in 1998 and the interior in 1999. At that time icons of St. Nicholas, St. George and the Theotokus were brought from the Greek island Khiros.