Aya Nikola Rum Ortodoks Kilisesi

Istanbul / Topkapi Turkey

Orthodox—Ecumenical Patriarchate

The church is located near the Romanos Gate. It was rebuilt in 1831 over ruins of earlier churches, probably dating from the Macedonian dynasty (AD 867–1059). Originally dedicated to St George, after being rebuilt following a fire in the early 17th century, it was dedicated to St Nicholas. The interior has been restored and the light blue high-vaulted ceiling resembles a ship’s hull. A model ship is a reminder that Nicholas is the patron saint of sailors. Services are held on St. Nicholas Day.