Istanbul Heybeliada / Chalki
Princes' Islands Turkey
Orthodox—Ecumenical PatriarchateThe domed church was built in 1857 over the ruins of a Byzantine church, also dedicated to Saint Nicholas, patron saint of mariners. The two previous wooden churches burned down. The complex gradually changed as shops replaced old wooden huts. The enclosure wall was removed in 1924 to widen the road. In 1974 the surrounding wall was taken to build a car park. The church is used for worship, especially for Oriental Orthodox Armenians and Syrians who have no church in Heybeliada.